Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Heather's Story

I asked Heather to give me her "story". I wanted to know a bit more on her health history and  why she wanted to make a bigger commitment. Thank you  Heather for being so open and allowing us to journey with you! -Meche

Heather tells her story:

I grew up in an Air Force family, my father a chaplain and my mother a teacher.  I had a happy healthy childhood, my mom always cooking healthy nutritious meals, and encouraging me to draw her pretty pictures.  I would occasionally go out with my father for a frosty and fries at Wendy’s, but that was a rare treat.


After graduating from High School in 2000, I began dating Dustin and enrolled at University of Colorado, Colorado Springs and had my first taste of freedom.  The food options at school were much different than what was offered at home.  It felt like every day was a great day to have a treat with a so many sugary foods and convenient snacks. Dustin and I married two years later.  My 5’2” frame went from 110 to 130 lbs, but this was nothing. I did not really notice the change as I tended to wear the unofficial uniform of college: stretchy stretchy sweatpants. Oh, so comfy!!  I am guessing that Dustin either didn’t notice or didn’t mind, the sweetheart. 

In 2004, I obtained my BA in Fine Art and was happily settled in to married life, working in data entry while Dustin worked as a software developer.  Things were going well and life was good...

Within a short space of time, life changed drastically for us. Dustin’s sister was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer at the young age of 29 and died less than 2 years later.  This was a very difficult time for everyone affected, and each coped in their own way.  My greatest comfort at this time was food, and there was comfort food galore!

2009 found Dustin and I still grieving but determined to begin rebuilding our lives.  We worked hard to get out of debt and downsize our lives, selling our big house in the suburbs and buying a tiny bungalow downtown home.  I did a variety of office work and took on my passion for Art with several commissions in mural painting as Dustin continued his career in Software.  Life was improving, we had stability, and more time for family, fun, and our dogs.
My wall and ceiling painting: Entry way to Connections
Unit at Cedar Springs Hospital
. The entire hallway of this unit
is a transition through the four seasons, a subtle message to the
kids who are going through a rough time that change is a
constant and beauty can be captured.

Sometime in 2010, I had reached my all-time highest weight of 175.  After a few bad dressing room experiences, and the horror of not recognizing myself in a photograph I decided it was time to tackle this obstacle to living well.  I bought a book on running, and along with my husband and his brother, started running.  First in 5 minutes increments and building up to 30 minutes.       

Eventually running 3 miles was a regular activity.  In 2012, I could run 3 miles several times a week, but my weight had barely budged and I continued to struggle with unhealthy eating habits.  I decided to get professional help. 

In August 2012, I searched online, found Meche and after the first meeting I knew I had found my trainer.  I started to feel the changes immediately, and not all physical.  My confidence and outlook on life improved drastically.  In December 2012, I completed my first half marathon. When Meche decided to do a 10 day Health Challenge that involved clean eating and intense workouts, I was excited for the challenge.  I liked it so much I did a second challenge a few months later and was shocked at the results.  My body fat was reduced by 8%, from 40% to 32%.  The feeling of progress was exhilarating. 

Shortly after this, Meche embarked on her own personal challenge, competing in a figure competition followed by a physique and figure competition.  She kept an inspirational and informative blog of her journey. Through following Meche’s journey, I realized I wanted to do something similar…and that is what brings us to today.

Meche has challenged me to a 30 day Transformation.  There will be intense strength training, cardio workouts, and daily guidance on nutrition.  Meche will keep a blog of this transformation and both she and I hope that through making the struggles and triumphs of my journey public, we can help more people begin their journey to a wealth of health.    

And, here we go. A sample of one of our workouts!




No comments:

Post a Comment